Stoltz/Kittleson open with 63 at U.S. Amateur Four-Ball, while Coloradans Soule/Sahlman fire 65
By Gary Baines – 5/14/2022
Former Coloradan Drew Stoltz and partner Drew Kittleson, both of Scottsdale, Ariz., shot a bogey-free 7-under-par 63 and share sixth place after Saturday’s first round of the U.S. Amateur Four-Ball Championship in Birmingham, Ala. They sit two strokes out of the lead.
Charlie Soule and Charlie Sahlman of Denver are the top current Coloradans after day 1 as the 2020 CGA Four-Ball champs fired a 5-under 65 and are tied for 16th place.
After Sunday’s round, the field will be cut from 128 teams to the 32 who will advance to match play.
Here are the scores for all the teams with significant Colorado ties:
6. Former Coloradan Drew Stoltz/Drew Kittleson 63 (-7)
16. Charlie Soule/Charlie Sahlman, Denver 65 (-5)
59. Ryan Burke, Longmont/Tyler Bishop, Frederick 68 (-2)
59. Chris Thayer, Golden/Bryan Rusin, Denver 69 (-2)
127. Stephen Reed, Lakewood/Michael Urbatchka, Louisville 79 (+8)
For all the scores, CLICK HERE.
About the Writer: Gary Baines has covered golf in Colorado continuously since 1983. He was a sports writer at the Daily Camera newspaper in Boulder, then the sports editor there, and has written regularly for ColoradoGolf.org since 2009. He was voted into the Colorado Golf Hall of Fame in 2021. Email: ColoradoGolfJournal@mac.com)